Prudence Katomeni Mbofana is a talented jazz songstress who was born in Harare Zimbabwe in 1977. She has performed on numerous stages worldwide for many years. She is vibrant and sassy, and listening to her is always entertaining. She has mastered the various complexities of jazz and sure knows how to use those skills to create beautiful sounds. Prudence through out her professional career has lent her voice on various projects namely The Cool Crooner, Victor Kunoga Tanga wekwa Sando and Jazz Invitation these projects have produced hit tunes such as Wake, Dhlomo and BP. In 2011 Prudence launched her much anticipated self-titled debut album. The diverse collection of songs has something for everyone and the album is a captivating piece of mastery.
Prudence is an award winning actress who has been putting Zimbabwe on the map from a tender age. She has won four awards in her 1993 role in ‘More Time’ which included an Mnet Movie Award forBest Actress and more recently,Playing Warriors .Prudence Was with Jazz Invitation for a decade, and toured and shared a stage legends such as Miriam Makeba, Take Six and Ladysmith Black Mambazo. The band released its debut album titled ‘The Rehearsal Room’, and then toured Namibia with the album. Prudence also featured on the Cool Crooners’ second album released 2005 ‘Isatilo’. They toured extensively together, going to countries in the French territory and to Namibia.
International noteworthy performances:
- Molde Jazz in Molde (Germany)
- Olimpia Paris France
- Mal Festival in Oslo, Norway’s capital, with an all female band called Wo-calling.
- Prudence was also invited as a guest singer to the Women’s Summit which took place in Namibia
- She four sold out shows in Denmark in March 2013 to celebrate International Woman’s Day which was hosted by All4Children
Zimbabwean noteworthy performances:
- Had a sold out opening concert at HIFA 2013 where almost 1000 fans packed the 7Arts Theatre of which she has been a part of for the last six years
- Italian October Jazz International Festival in Harare Zimbabwe
- Winter Jazz Festival
- Women in Jazz Festival
Prudence’s knowledge of Jazz music and her command and presence of live performances has established her as a reputable brand that every citizen off Zimbabwe even beyond our borders can identify with, her songs and lyrics address everyday life issues. She is undoubtedly a Zimbabwean super brand and continues to get better and better with every performance.